Skip to main content

Happy New Year 2007 !

I have been wanting to write blog for some time but life got busy with kids, MBA, work and Hawaii vacation. Finally taking the opportunity of new year 2007, I decided to write up my thoughts.
Reader beware - it's just free-flow of my thoughts spanning from my recent reading, movies and some investment ideas.

First of all, Happy new year to all folks who happen to come across this post !

Last week saw quite a few movies like "The Night At Musuem", "The Good Shephard" in theatres and saw "The Inconvinent Thruth: Global Warming" and "World Trade Center" on DVD. I liked all 4 movies - they were covering completely different topics but I happen to like all of them. I liked acting of Matt Daemon in Shephard, family friendly comedy of Museum and the presentation of global warming problem by Al Gore in Inconvenient Truth. This really opened my eyes and I am glad I saw it with my son Yash. Not only do we need to educate our generation and act on it but also educate next generation if we want to sa ve Planet Earth for all of human kind for years to come. For more details, check out
I definately recommend all 4 movies.

Did not get chance to read up too many books. Have been reading " The Preseident's Men" covering Nixon's watergate investigations by Washington Post journalists.

How did my stock picks did in 2006 - not very good. When S&P returned 13.6% for 2006, my picks combined were just break-even. Hope to do better this year. After seeing the performance of my recommendation vs my actual investments in mutual funds, I am strong beleiver in picking right mutual funds and let it ride the market. After I discussed few ideas with one of my friend Milind Kulkarni, here are my recommendations on target distribution for 2007.

Target Distribution Target % Recommendations Comments
Stocks



ESPP 15%
Your company stock Company stock

Individual Stocks 5%
YHOO, F, AAPL, PFE Yahoo, Ford and Apple and Pfizer

Domestic Mutual Funds 30%


Large cap
10% VFINX S&P Index

Sector
10% VGSIX, FSESX or FSHCX Real Estate, Healthcare or oil service

Small-cap
10% VSTCX Vanguard strategic equity

International Mutual Funds 40%


Global
20% VGTSX and VDMIX Total International and developed market

Emerging
20% VEIEX or UUPIX, MCHFX or TABRX Emerging fund and BRIC or china fund

Bonds 5%
VWEHX Corp bond fund

Short-term CD + Cash 5%
Cash is king:-)
Total 100%




As seen from above distribution, nearly 85% distribution is in MF. I beleive this distribution would beat S&P by about 2-3% next year.

Bye for now and enjoy 2007!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2026: The Year of Convergence – Melt-up, Moonshots, or Mid-cycle Correction?

Happy New Year! After another period of self-imposed hibernation from the blog—partly due to the festivals, travel, intertia and partly to watch the dust settle on a chaotic 2025—I decided to use the quiet of this New Year’s morning to finally reboot.  Looking back at my October post,  “Clicks to Tokens,”  the hunch about the AI theme held firm. We spent much of 2025 debating whether we were in 1998 or 2000. As we enter 2026, the answer seems to be "neither and both." We have the roaring optimism of the 1920s fueled by "Silicon Spirits," but with the high-speed volatility of the 2020s. So, as the calendar flips, what is in store for 2026? Markets may experience melt-up (S&P touching 8000),  with some moonshots (like SpaceX and OpenAI) IPOs or even see mid-cycle correction bringing down S&P to 6000. That's a wide range and will be decided by Four R's... Here are my thoughts on the " Four R’s ":  Rates, Robots, Rotations, and Real Assets. 1. ...

Rockets, Relics & Roaring Markets: The $4 Trillion Crossroads of 1927 and 1999

Happy (almost) Summer! After watching Kevin Warsh get sworn in at a White House ceremony two days ago, tracking three S-1 filings that could collectively hoover up more capital than every U.S. IPO since 2022 combined, and watching 26-year-old stock charts finally break to new highs — it felt like the right moment to ask the uncomfortable question out loud. Are we at a party that ends gracefully, or one that ends with the furniture on fire? The market is simultaneously flashing the neon signs of 1999  and  the orchestral excess of 1927. Most commentators reach for the dot-com playbook. I think the original Roaring Twenties is the better map. Here's why... Assembly Lines to AI Clusters Ford's River Rouge complex was the largest industrial facility on earth in the 1920s — raw iron in one end, a Model T out the other. Steel, rubber, and oil became the picks-and-shovels of the age. GE and Westinghouse were electrifying factories and homes. The infrastructure buildout  was ...

Stree-Dhan vs. Oracle of Omaha!

Happy February! After another brief hibernation from the blog—partly to digest the early year volatility and partly to observe the shifting sands of global liquidity—it’s time to look at some fascinating disconnects in the market. Lately, I’ve been thinking about the "Unbeatable Asset Class." No, I’m not talking about the S&P 500 or Nvidia. I’m talking about a collective force that has quietly outperformed the "Oracle of Omaha" for over two decades. 1. The Golden Saree: Indian Women vs. Warren Buffett If you look at the performance of Berkshire Hathaway (BRK-B) since the launch of the GLD ETF (the first gold ETF) in late 2004, you’ll find a startling reality. While Buffett is the gold standard of value investing, the "Gold Standard" itself—specifically in the hands of Indian households—has been a formidable rival. Data shows that since the inception of the GLD ETF in November 2004, the total return on Gold has actually surpassed Berkshire Hathaway. I...