Skip to main content

Thank You President Obama: Yes We Did!

President Obama,

Thank for your being our President for last 8 years. It started with an inspiring speech in 2004 during democratic convention leading to that historic fall night of Nov 2008. On that night I felt so proud of my adopted country and Americans who elected first African American President. In 2012 and I along with my son volunteered for your campaign. Historians and authors would write many books on your achievements and your presidency. One could not do justice to your presidency just by listing few. But I could not resist listing few here.

  • You saved American economy (and by extension world economy) from 1930's style depression by working with Fed and congress. 
  • Presided over economy which did not had a single recession once it recovered from depths of 2009 recession
  • Created over 15 million jobs during 8 years and brought down employment from over 10% to 4.5%
  • Stock markets nearly tripled (as measured by DOW index of 6600 to nearly 19800)
  • Enacted first major overhaul of heath-care system in America since 1960's. With "Obamacare" more than 22 million Americans got health care insurance
  • Did not had any major terrorist attack on American soil
  • Ended two costly and un-necessary wars
  • Saved American car industry and banking institutions by bailing out even though these were unpopular decisions
  • Under your presidency, innovation engine in Silicon Valley and across USA is in full action helping creation of hundreds of unicorns as well as some big-value "sharing economy" companies
No wonder your approval rating (60%) is one of the highest among departing presidents. You and Michelle inspired us all to aspire to do our best. Even in your final words, you gave us hope by saying that "At my core, I think we're going to be OK.". We never met in person but I always felt that I have a friend in White House. I personally is going to miss you. I am sure millions of Americans and people across the world are feeling same.

/Shyam

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2026: The Year of Convergence – Melt-up, Moonshots, or Mid-cycle Correction?

Happy New Year! After another period of self-imposed hibernation from the blog—partly due to the festivals, travel, intertia and partly to watch the dust settle on a chaotic 2025—I decided to use the quiet of this New Year’s morning to finally reboot.  Looking back at my October post,  “Clicks to Tokens,”  the hunch about the AI theme held firm. We spent much of 2025 debating whether we were in 1998 or 2000. As we enter 2026, the answer seems to be "neither and both." We have the roaring optimism of the 1920s fueled by "Silicon Spirits," but with the high-speed volatility of the 2020s. So, as the calendar flips, what is in store for 2026? Markets may experience melt-up (S&P touching 8000),  with some moonshots (like SpaceX and OpenAI) IPOs or even see mid-cycle correction bringing down S&P to 6000. That's a wide range and will be decided by Four R's... Here are my thoughts on the " Four R’s ":  Rates, Robots, Rotations, and Real Assets. 1. ...

Rockets, Relics & Roaring Markets: The $4 Trillion Crossroads of 1927 and 1999

Happy (almost) Summer! After watching Kevin Warsh get sworn in at a White House ceremony two days ago, tracking three S-1 filings that could collectively hoover up more capital than every U.S. IPO since 2022 combined, and watching 26-year-old stock charts finally break to new highs — it felt like the right moment to ask the uncomfortable question out loud. Are we at a party that ends gracefully, or one that ends with the furniture on fire? The market is simultaneously flashing the neon signs of 1999  and  the orchestral excess of 1927. Most commentators reach for the dot-com playbook. I think the original Roaring Twenties is the better map. Here's why... Assembly Lines to AI Clusters Ford's River Rouge complex was the largest industrial facility on earth in the 1920s — raw iron in one end, a Model T out the other. Steel, rubber, and oil became the picks-and-shovels of the age. GE and Westinghouse were electrifying factories and homes. The infrastructure buildout  was ...

Stree-Dhan vs. Oracle of Omaha!

Happy February! After another brief hibernation from the blog—partly to digest the early year volatility and partly to observe the shifting sands of global liquidity—it’s time to look at some fascinating disconnects in the market. Lately, I’ve been thinking about the "Unbeatable Asset Class." No, I’m not talking about the S&P 500 or Nvidia. I’m talking about a collective force that has quietly outperformed the "Oracle of Omaha" for over two decades. 1. The Golden Saree: Indian Women vs. Warren Buffett If you look at the performance of Berkshire Hathaway (BRK-B) since the launch of the GLD ETF (the first gold ETF) in late 2004, you’ll find a startling reality. While Buffett is the gold standard of value investing, the "Gold Standard" itself—specifically in the hands of Indian households—has been a formidable rival. Data shows that since the inception of the GLD ETF in November 2004, the total return on Gold has actually surpassed Berkshire Hathaway. I...