Skip to main content

Seeking Alpha in Indian Market

If you haven't came from another planet, you would have noticeed that lately Indian stock market has been on fire. Economy growing at about 9% per year, BSE index has been up about 40+ % in last two years. In such market, it's very difficult to beat the market when any stock you pick would do well. By defination, seeking alpha is nothing but find stocks which would return better than just by investing in any index funds.

I have been successfully investing in India for some time and have developed few skills to pick some stocks. At start of 2006, I have selected Aptech which I picked up at 130 rupees with target of 200 in 12 months. Check out in blog archives at:

Today it is 209 rupees. I recommended to some folks back home when it was 60.

But that was past (in stock market - no one cares about past) Let's talk about which stocks would do better going forward now that BSE index is at 14300 and it has become difficult to pick wining stocks. I am planning to write about one or two indian stocks periodically on my blog.


Teledata Informatics:
When I was in India in June 2006, I noticed this stock and found that it was trading at P/E of about 2 (at 14 rupees). This is an Indian software company with decent revenues and trading at P/E of 2. I could not believe so did some reaserch (with limited publications like capital markets). Decided to buy few shares to keep it on my radar. When overall market was breaking records, this stock remained in mid teens for few more months. People starting noticing it in last couple of months when it started moving from mid-teens and since then it has been locked at max 5% lock for quite few days. On Friday 2/15, it is trading at 47 ruppes. It has returned nearly 400% in 7-8 months.

It just published results for last quarter in which it earned 820 million rupees on revenue of over 3000 million rupees. With about 150 million shares, it is back to P/E of 2-3. It is going to be demerged in 3 companies with existing shareholders receiveing shares in all 3 companies. Unfortunately, there is dearth of quality information available on such companies. However considering it is mid-size software company and growing it's revenues and profits and demerging in 3 companies, my prediction is that it will touch
100 rupees by end of 2007..

I will talk about next stock in future posts (after I do some more research on other companies) ! Good night !

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2026: The Year of Convergence – Melt-up, Moonshots, or Mid-cycle Correction?

Happy New Year! After another period of self-imposed hibernation from the blog—partly due to the festivals, travel, intertia and partly to watch the dust settle on a chaotic 2025—I decided to use the quiet of this New Year’s morning to finally reboot.  Looking back at my October post,  “Clicks to Tokens,”  the hunch about the AI theme held firm. We spent much of 2025 debating whether we were in 1998 or 2000. As we enter 2026, the answer seems to be "neither and both." We have the roaring optimism of the 1920s fueled by "Silicon Spirits," but with the high-speed volatility of the 2020s. So, as the calendar flips, what is in store for 2026? Markets may experience melt-up (S&P touching 8000),  with some moonshots (like SpaceX and OpenAI) IPOs or even see mid-cycle correction bringing down S&P to 6000. That's a wide range and will be decided by Four R's... Here are my thoughts on the " Four R’s ":  Rates, Robots, Rotations, and Real Assets. 1. ...

Rockets, Relics & Roaring Markets: The $4 Trillion Crossroads of 1927 and 1999

Happy (almost) Summer! After watching Kevin Warsh get sworn in at a White House ceremony two days ago, tracking three S-1 filings that could collectively hoover up more capital than every U.S. IPO since 2022 combined, and watching 26-year-old stock charts finally break to new highs — it felt like the right moment to ask the uncomfortable question out loud. Are we at a party that ends gracefully, or one that ends with the furniture on fire? The market is simultaneously flashing the neon signs of 1999  and  the orchestral excess of 1927. Most commentators reach for the dot-com playbook. I think the original Roaring Twenties is the better map. Here's why... Assembly Lines to AI Clusters Ford's River Rouge complex was the largest industrial facility on earth in the 1920s — raw iron in one end, a Model T out the other. Steel, rubber, and oil became the picks-and-shovels of the age. GE and Westinghouse were electrifying factories and homes. The infrastructure buildout  was ...

Stree-Dhan vs. Oracle of Omaha!

Happy February! After another brief hibernation from the blog—partly to digest the early year volatility and partly to observe the shifting sands of global liquidity—it’s time to look at some fascinating disconnects in the market. Lately, I’ve been thinking about the "Unbeatable Asset Class." No, I’m not talking about the S&P 500 or Nvidia. I’m talking about a collective force that has quietly outperformed the "Oracle of Omaha" for over two decades. 1. The Golden Saree: Indian Women vs. Warren Buffett If you look at the performance of Berkshire Hathaway (BRK-B) since the launch of the GLD ETF (the first gold ETF) in late 2004, you’ll find a startling reality. While Buffett is the gold standard of value investing, the "Gold Standard" itself—specifically in the hands of Indian households—has been a formidable rival. Data shows that since the inception of the GLD ETF in November 2004, the total return on Gold has actually surpassed Berkshire Hathaway. I...